Sustainable Blockchain Hackathon is over
lay the foundation for tomorrow’s verifiably sustainable web
23 Jun ‘22
18 Jul ‘22
about the event
Blockchains are great for making transparent, verifiable claims, and this means a world of Web3 environmental tools to explore and create. We want to turn sustainability into a Web3 superpower, and we need your help! If you are a builder interested in laying the foundation for tomorrow’s verifiably sustainable web, join us. All are welcome - whether you are deep into #Refi or just want to learn how to make the environmental impacts of your projects more transparent.
Do you believe in making the next generation of the internet as “green” as possible? Come and hack sustainable, environmentally friendly tools at the Sustainable Blockchain Hackathon.
- Week One
Thursday, June 23, 4 pm UTC: 'Opening Ceremony'
- Week Two
Monday, June 27, 4 pm UTC: 'Introduction to IPFS & Filecoin'
Wednesday, June 29, 4 pm UTC: 'What is Filecoin Green'
Friday, July 1, 4 pm UTC: 'Workshop on Greenhouse Gas Protocol: if you want to model your impacts, what should you consider?'
- Week Three
Tuesday July 5 12am UTC: 'AMA'
- Week Four
Thursday, July 14, 9 am UTC: Grants Opportunities for your Filecoin Green Project'
- Week Five
Monday, July 18, 8 am UTC: Hackathon Ends
Monday, July 18-Saturday July 23: Final Judging
Saturday, July 23: SBS Summit & Hackathon Closing Ceremony (Final Judging & presentations)
- $24,000 USD prize from Filecoin Green.
- $1500 USD for each Bonus Statement
- Best use of IPFS/and or Filecoin for your environmental project
- Write a ‘green reputation score’ that determines which SPs are most sustainable based on the current grid emissions factor, and let your users know how much CO2e will be saved by choosing a lower carbon grid.
- Develop UX/UI for NFT platforms that showcases the estimated emissions profile of storing the data of an NFT (pre-mint) via NFT.Storage
- Given a block height range, write a script that generates a proof of the energy consumption of a Filecoin storage provider over the corresponding time period. Provide an upper bound, lower bound, and estimate.
- Revamp NDCPortal to auto upload new NDCs to Filecoin/IPFS, and conduct analysis of NDC to track progress. Include updated (rather than only initial) NDCs
View the Submission Guidelines & Judging Criteria. All winners will be notified via email, within two weeks of the close of the hackathon. Instructions will be attached to the email.
Jenks Guo - Developer Advocate at Filecoin Foundation
Marc Johnson - ESG & Web3, Filecoin Green at Protocol Labs
Alex Paris - Technical Officer for the Energy Team on the Methodology Development Unit (MDU) at UNFCCC